Friday, September 10, 2010

Den Hague and Rotterdam

or about the end of my journey...


That's where I spent my last two days in Holland. In den Hague just few hours, in Rotterdam 1,5 days. And I still don't know which place I like more. Both are quite non-touristic – I mean, there are some tourists, of course, but just a few and walking down the streets in this time of year, you usually notice locals. Both cities are different than Amsterdam – less crazy bikers, less coffee shops, less crowds. Both have Chinese districts and I met a lot of Muslims in the centre. Den Hague seems to be cosier as it's smaller and doesn't overwhelm with its huge modern buildings as Rotterdam does. But what I like in Rotterdam is the Old Harbour with nice cafés and colourful boats, vivid flea market and strange sculptures placed everywhere around the centre. Busy commercial streets and glass skyscrapers destroy a bit the calm atmosphere of the city, but I enjoyed exploring it anyway.

I was also quite surprised with the hostel (Mafkees) where I stayed. It's different than others, with large rooms equipped with plenty of double beds, friendly staff, and quite a big common room. Many guests who stayed there where students looking for a flat in Rotterdam and I didn't really meet there many nice people, as I usually do in a hostel. But I think I liked it.

The country outside Amsterdam attracted me as much as its capital. Time was passing by quite quickly and soon I had to leave Rotterdam to catch my plane from Eindhoven. But the magic of Holland – its special places and special people - has put me under a spell and I'm coming back there next week...

No comments: