Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bakewell and Derby

... or about travelling by bus and good food.

My friend who lives in Nottingham suggested we should go to Bakewell and on the way back to Derby, as well. So, three of us - Ivania, her boyfriend and me - spent about 2,5 hours on a bus and finally reached the town. The weather wasn't fine at all, which doesn't really surprise me in England anymore.
Bakewell is famous for its local tasty pastries and tarts that can be found in every bakery in the town. Of course, we bought the famous tart and then a carrot cake, as well (I've never eaten it before:). Both were delicious and I'm still not sure which one tastes better.



The town seems to be quite calm, although we met some tourists in the centre. There's an old church built by Normans, surrounded by crooked tombstones. It's quite nice inside and when we arrived there, the wedding ceremony had just finished. Quite a strange time of the day, though (Friday, about 3 p.m.). There are also many narrow streets near the church with colourful little houses. And the river. With swans and ducks and an old bridge made of stone. We made a short photo session by the river side, and then also with colourful huts that we found in one of the shops.
Our visit to Bakewell finished in a pub, quite empty at this time of day, but that was not a problem at all.
After a while we headed for Derby. This time the bus was awfully slow and the driver lost his way once somewhere in the narrow uphill streets. Finally, we reached the city and it started to rain. So, our first stop was in a Chinese bar with quite good food. Then we made a short walk to the centre with a waterfall-like fountain and cathedral. I totally forgot it was Friday night, but the weird dressed party-goers reminded me about it immediately. ('Weird' means according to the style: 'well, I don't need a mirror, I don't care if I'm warm or not' :). And soon we were on our way back to Nottingham...

No comments: