Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nottingham and much more..

... or about visiting my friends in UK.

It really happens rarely that I can use so many languages (5) in such a short journey (5 days). And it also happens rarely that I cover such a small distance (1500 km) in such a long time (10 hours).

Here's the story:

First, journey by train from Vienna to Bratislava, then by bus from the station to the airport, then flight to London Luton and, finally, bus to Nottingham. Plus waiting for the connections... It all took even a bit more than 10 hours, I'm afraid. In every country I used the local language, which seems quite logical:) But I had an opportunity to speak a bit Spanish with my Portuguese friend, as well and then Polish with my Polish friends.
But first things first.
Well, actually I should start with Nottingham but I'm not going to describe the city once more, as I did it after my first visit 2 years ago. Anyway, I didn't have much time and opportunity to visit the city now, because my friends and spending time with them was more important. We visited few other places, though. What keeps on surprising me, is the huge number of Poles in UK and the ubiquity of Polish food in various shops. Oh, and one more thing: pedestrians tend to ignore the red light and somehow I can't understand the strange dressing habits of teenagers and party-goers. They're dressed as if it was at least 30 degrees, when in fact it's bit above 10. Brrr.... I met a lot of party freaks wearing shorts, sleeveless tops, mini skirts and it seems they don't find it necessary to take a jacket or anything more than summer clothes. Whether it's rainy or windy, freezing or not - party-goers are always on a beach.
What also strikes me, is the omnipresence of emo style followers. And they tend to exaggerate to another extreme - even when it's above 20 degrees they are dressed as if it was 10. But well, styles and tastes are not good topics to discuss, so I will just pass it over...
And now a short story about my visit to other English cities... In the following posts, of course:)

No comments: