Monday, August 9, 2010

Almost like in India

or about the first day in Bucharest...

It's hot. Full of contrasts. It's dirty. Full of neglected houses. Stray dogs are walking down the streets (when tried to bite me), poor people begging or sleeping outside, cars driving like crazy, ignoring the red light. And I don't really feel safe walking alone when it's dark. Almost like in India. 'Almost' because I still haven't found anything that would impress me as much as India did. Maybe I just need to explore the city more to appreciate its overwhelming contrasts and find something that would overweight its all bad sides. Or maybe these are not the bad sides at all, just an inseparable part of Bucharest that somehow builds up its charm. I'll find it out soon.

I didn't want to come here as many people said that Bucharest is boring and very tiring. And then I heard I should come there for at least one day, because it is a special city, although a bit dirty, neglected and full of contrasts. So I left friendly Brasov, awaiting new adventures. The train was few hours late, which didn't really surprise me. I didn't book any hostel, as I thought that maybe I would be lucky again and the place I found on the Internet will still have some spare beds. But I was wrong. The Funky Chicken Hostel, which is in a walking distance from the main railway station, was already full. Well, not a problem – I thought. And went back in the extreme heat to the place I came from. The railway station. Near the station there is one more cheap place to stay overnight. And this time I was lucky. A lady from America who owns the hostel welcomed me really friendly and invited to her modest place. It's small but I like it. Although there's no Internet like in other hostels. And the biggest problem is – I couldn't find any internet cafes in the vicinity. I know it's not the most important thing while travelling, but if you try to combine working with travelling you have really no choice but to be online from time to time. And in my case 'from time to time' means almost every day or every few days but for few hours. Anyway, no more complaining:) I'm alone in this huge, hot, confusing city and it's time to let it impress me!:)

No comments: