Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mulţumesc Romania!

or my general impressions from the best journey ever.

Every year I say the same: 'it was the best holidays ever!'. And so it is this time. One month in Romania was definitely full of new experiences, surprises and adventures. Travelling alone for such a long time made me open to new people, more self-confident and self-reliant. I'm very grateful to all the Romanians I met on my way, who were very friendly and helpful. Meeting local people is the best part of every journey and never before have I met so many of them as now in Romania. Most of them were friends of my friend, Alex, or friends of her friends or friends of friends of her friends... Most of the young people I met were actually from Brasov. But wherever I went I was really surprised at how friendly and open people were to me. Thank you! Mulţumesc!

Now I feel I need to invite all the helpful Romanian to Poland or to Vienna to be for them such a good host as they were to me... So, feel free to come:)

During the month I managed to learn a bit of Romanian, which doesn't seem to be a complicated language. I think I will add it up to my 'must learn languages' list:) If I could spend few weeks more in Romania, still among people who even if know English don't use it so much, I think I would definitely improve my Romanian at least to an intermediate level;):)

Travelling is more about meeting local people, not only discovering local attractions. That's why Brasov will always be a special place for me, even though the city itself is maybe not the one I liked the most. The most wonderful places I visited in Romania are without any doubts the Danube Delta and Pietra Craialui mountains. Sighisoara and Sibiu belong to my favourites as well. Now my plan is to get back to Romania and visit the northern part of the country and then go to Moldavia. And then visit Brasov once more and maybe some other places in the Danube Delta. I hope to get there in April or May next year, as soon as I graduate from my studies.

Oh, and one more thing. My journey back from Romania, which was a bit exhausting: first 5 hours on a boat (I didn't have to pay for the ticket!!!), then 5 hours by car, then 14 hours by train, which arrived to late and I missed my train from Budapest to Katowice. I tried to get to Vienna and from there to Katowice but it turned out I won't catch the train that arrives the same day in the evening. So I tried to cancel my ticket from Budapest to Vienna, but it turned out it's impossible (?!?). So now I'm in Vienna again, and in 3 hours I'll be heading for Poland. A short break on the way to the family town is not such a bad idea after all. At least I can leave here part of my luggage and go further with a lighter rucksack. Packing and unpacking again... An inseparable part of my life:)

No comments: