Monday, August 2, 2010

Coffee future-telling and local attractions

or how the locals see the city...

I thought I was going to travel alone again when something unexpected happened. My Romanian friend invited me to her place but I already paid for the hostel so I'll stay with her from tomorrow. She invited me to lunch, as well (delicious mamaliga and beans), then offered some ice tea with honey and coffee. Actually, we drunk the coffee to see our future, because Alex' grandmother is a master at coffee future-telling. So I went for it!

And here's what I found out:
The grandma said she had never seen such good dregs before! Saying this she meant that I'm extremely strong, independent and proud (whatever that may mean...). Then she said I'd been climbing up the mountains with a rucksack, I was tired and sad but only for a short time (true!). I should be careful with my luggage because someone may want to steal it and I would be happy with my further journey. And the she said – attention please! - I would be married soon (!!!) and two guys would propose to me at the same time or I would be married twice (???). And there's a sad guy somewhere far away thinking about me a lot (!?!). And there's a lion (maybe a zodiac sign or just a strong person) who's looking after me. And that I would be happy, successful and rich. Well, I wish that at least some of these things were true. I mean, I don't care about the marriage and stuff like that but the successful life would be something nice:)

Together wit Alex we came up with a lot of ideas for the next days. Were could we go or what could we visit. We didn't plan anything for sure but I know we'll see interesting places and experience a lot.
Then we were walking up a citadel hill, then along the narrow streets and we visited a communist-like confectionery, where everything was like in the past: the same selling ladies, same cakes, same decoration. We had an ice cream called 'casate'. Delicious! From 'the past', as well. And then we walked up the hill again to meet Alex' friends. Because that's the place where young people spend their free time when they don't want or can't go to a pub;) We ate sunflower seeds, pretzels and had some other attractions. And then the girls (Alex and her friend only, because the boys disappeared suddenly) took me to an old cemetery with Russian and German graves and then showed me another cemetery with a grave of Romanian poet who wrote the national anthem.

Well, it seems you need to know the locals to see the real life of the city and to get from it as much as possible.
And tomorrow more attractions...

No comments: