Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In an Indian home (09.02.08)

Today Sarosh (the cleaning lady) invited me to her home. Well, “home” is too much to call it. It's simply a kind of unfinished building. There's no door – just a gate with small lock and a lot of cardboard. There's no rooms inside – just one big space. There's no kitchen – just a little corner with aluminum dishes, few glasses with spices, small gas cooker on the floor. There's one big bed, three little ones, TV, video, plenty of well-known cosmetics on a windowsill. And multitude of religious pictures with Hindi gods.
Funny thing – we used gestures and single English or Hindi word to communicate. She doesn't understand English, I can't speak Hindi. But we managed. Oh, and the most important thing. Sarosh made some chapati with spicy spinach filling for me. Wow, I liked the way she prepared it. It had nth to do with hygiene but doesn't really matter. It was delicious and Sarosh is nice indeed.
I'm amazed at how they can cope with these severe condition, how they survive having so little, being so smart...



Today is the first sunny day. Finally, there was hot water under the shower and I'm not shivering anymore. The night was very cold, as usual. But now it's fine. I'm full of energy and I'm setting of to find some nice places in this chaotic and noisy city.

No comments: